Entitlement for Free Dinners
Free school meals are available to all children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2. They are also available to some older children according to family income and to Nursery children who attend through the Governments free 15 hour provision sessions. It’s important to register for entitlement to free school meals, even if your child has a packed lunch or is in a younger class – this is so we can receive additional funding (called the pupil premium) which we can use to help your child. Children are entitled to Free School Meals if their parents, carers or guardians receive any of the following:
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit – if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
You can check if you are eligible for Free School Meals at https://www.gov.uk/apply-free-school-meals
Contact the Liverpool Benefits Service on 0151 233 3000;
Visit a One Stop Shop – the nearest one to school is in Picton Road, Wavertree, Liverpool, L15 4LP;
Visit your local housing office;
Work out what benefits you may be entitled to by using this Online Benefit Calculator;
Call HMRC Tax Credit website or call their helpline on (0845 300 3900);
Contact Turn2Us – a charitable service that helps people access the money available to them – through welfare benefits, grants and other help.
The Liverpool City Council website has more information about free school meals.
Alternatively, children may bring a packed lunch which are eaten in the main hall. Download our Guide to Healthy Packed Lunches. Packed lunches should be in a secure named container. No sweets are allowed – instead, we encourage lots of fruit or vegetables. Water is available for children who choose a packed lunch.